Specialty Therapy Services
In general, hand therapy focuses on the biomechanical issues of upper-extremity conditions. It’s a patient-centered approach that addresses the needs of the patient, such as being able to lift things, open a jar, or button a shirt.
Hand Therapy Interventions
Benefits of Hand Therapy:
- Preventative, Nonoperative, or Conservative Treatment
- Management of Acute or Chronic Pain
- Desensitization Following Nerve Injury or Trauma
- Sensory Reeducation after Nerve Injury
- Design & Implementation of Home Exercise Programs to Increase Motion, Dexterity, & Strength
- Customized Splint Fabrication for Prevention or Correction of Injury
- Training in the Performance of Daily Life Skills Through Adapted Methods & Equipment
- Conditioning Before Returning to Work
Lymphedema Treatment & Management
Lymphedema often occurs after surgery, such as a removal or damage to the lymph nodes as part of cancer treatments or due to infected tissues. With chronic swelling, there are many risks, including circulation issues, the risk of infection, and the potential for future injury. It is very important to receive treatment for Lymphedema and to follow up with your doctor on a routine basis.